Restorative Honour - Exploring Justice - (Seigi)

Restoring Honour 正義 Promoting Dispute Resolution and Culturally Competent Mediator




16 August 2013

"Meditate on this, I will."

Bit of a light hearted break for today!

In galaxy-not so far far away ....in Australia more than 70,000 people (0.37%) declared themselves members of the Chruch of the Jedi according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics 2001 census.  

Whilst I concede that it is unlikely that I will ever get to mediate clones - Yoda does come up with some excellent quotes that mediators I work with have (in a lighthearted way) quoted in relationship to one's mindset before, during and after mediation.
 Whilst Yoda does have a sermon-like quality about him - I am sure mediators will relate to some of his classic lines as he would have been a great mediator on the Council of Jedi's.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
As this could easily inform mediators them selves need to prepare their presence in the mediation room and take away their prejudices ...more on mindset here.

In this next quote - might strike a chord with Aikido Practioners who subdues an attack in a calm, passive way not with an obvious 'eye for an eye' counter attack. It is much related to bringing peace int the room and the mindful presence mediator.


Luke: "But how am I to know the good side from the bad?"
Yoda: "You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

Finally to end on light note:
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?"
Yoda
 

2 comments:

  1. ....and watch out for those jedi mind tricks mediators use

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.mediate.com/articles/hayesS2.cfm

    "Walking into a difficult conflict or mediation session, I imagine myself as Luke Skywalker in that ship flying towards the Death Star, knowing that there may only be a small window of opportunity or one key issue that can really get to the “core” of the conflict and get these clients to an agreement that will end this conflict. There are times when I feel impatient and begin to fear that the resolution is slipping away. If my fear leads to anger at the clients for not seeing the obvious, I am tempted to slip into directive, authoritarian mode and start giving them advice on what they should do (for me this is the Dark Side, although this may be different for others). Then I hear the voice of my mentors "Trust The Process, Mediator”. I hear the voice, I close my eyes, take a deep breath, remember that The Process only works when we are calm, focused, and at peace. While being directive and making decisions for them may be the “easier more seductive path”, that if I use my communication skills, remember to help everyone see truths from multiple points of view, deflect their negative energy blasts with my “light saber”, and “Trust The Process”, that I will find that window to destroy the Death Star this conflict has created for these people"

    ReplyDelete